Tuesday 27 October 2015

Beet and Bean Burgers



 

I'm not really sure why, but lately I have been having pretty intense cravings for burgers. 

Now I'm not really the kind of person who gets many food cravings, though if I physically see and smell something delicious you'd better believe it is taking all of my willpower to not take down who ever is in possession of said delicious item and cram it into my face hole. But the feeling usually passes pretty quickly and I am free to continue on with life.

Not so lately. For whatever reason my mind has become clouded with dreams of chunky patties, crisp lettuce and creamy sauce. I have been dreaming of rolling on the floor making burger angels as I laugh like a demented person. Whenever I enter a restaurant I quickly flick to the burgers/sandwiches section and by god there had better be a veggie burger on there or a whole storm of negative yelp reviews are going to be raining on that poor, unsuspecting establishment. 

Whatever the cause (hakuna your tatas Mum! it is most definitely not one of THOSE sorts of cravings!), when I found my self thinking "Oh, that Krabby Pattie looks pretty good..." I knew something had to be done.

Enter the Beet and Bean Burger.

If you look up vegan burger recipes you will find that many of these feature beetroots and some variety of beans and for good reason. Beans provide the perfect burger base, giving body and protein to the pattie which would usually be played by the role of Mr. meat. As well as giving it a kick-ass colour, beetroots provide a huge amount of moisture to keep that pattie succulent even while the outside is being crisped and just seems to add an earthiness and enhance all the other flavours you are adding in. 

I happened to stumble across this recipe from The Minimalist Baker  which sounded (and looked) ammmmazing so I decided to create my own version, changing up the flavours and adding a few extra bits and pieces. 

Let me tell you: my burger cravings = 100% satisfied!

So tasty and full of veggies, I served my pattie with the usual burger accompaniments - think wholegrain bun, fresh salad, creamy avocado and crispy potato chips! 

I would 100% recommend you give it a go and let me know what you think and if you have ever considered turning tricks to Mr. Krabs for a burger bite. 





Beet and Bean Burgers


(Makes about 6 patties)


1/2 zucchini, grated
1/2 raw beetroot, grated
1/4 cup corn
1 cup cooked quinoa
425g black beans, crushed with a masher or fork
1/2 brown onion, very finely chopped
1/2 cup kale, finely chopped
 1/4 cup almond meal (may need more or less depending on moisture)
 1 tsp ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste


Thrown everything into a large mixing bowl and use your hands to mix and bring together until well combined. 

If you feel the mix is to wet to hold together add a little extra almond meal to soak up some of that excess liquid. 

Take large handfuls of the mixture and form into patties. Spread them over baking trays lined with non-stick paper and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 30 minutes or until crispy on the outside, very gently flipping at about the halfway mark (they are fragile and will break if you try an aggressive, pancake style flip so COOL YOUR JETS and be gentle!). 

Eat are they are, served with a salad or sitting atop a burger buns crammed with salad and topped with some creamy mashed avocado (plus crispy baked potato chips/fries because CARBS).







  


  

1 comment: