Wednesday 6 May 2015

Raw Vegan Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cheesecake


\

 

Oh. My. Good. God. 





In my last post a promised Oreo and PB Cheesecake makeover for the vegans, 'clean eaters' and dairy/gluten intolerant folks among us. Don't ever tell me I don't deliver. I feel like freakin Santa Clause right now!

When I posted an Instagram pic of this gorgeous behemoth (follow me @sheridangore) (clearly I am not above self-promotion...WATCHA GONNA DO!) I said that this was one of my favourite recipes I had created. Would I lie to you?!









The crust is firm but chewy and chocolaty.
The filling is smooth, light and creamy.
It largely features peanut butter.

Need I say more people?! Step away from your computers or handheld media devises and make this right now! I said NOW! 












Raw Vegan Chocolate + Peanut Butter Cheesecake

Serves ~12


For the Crust

1 cup pitted dates
1 cup raw nuts (mix of walnuts and almonds)
1/4 cup dessicated coconut
1/4 cup cacao
1/4 cup quinoa flakes (you could probably swap in oats instead)
tbsp water
tsp vanilla extract (optional)


For the Filling

3 cups raw cashews or macadamia nuts (I used a mix of both), soaked in water overnight
1 cup smooth Peanut butter
1 tbsp vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract.
1/2 cup pure maple syrup (or whichever sweetener you prefer; agave, honey etc)
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup water




To make the crust, simply blend all of the ingredients except the water in a high powered food processor until well chopped and no large chunks of nut or date remain. Slowly add the water while continuing to blend until the mixture starts to ball together in a dough-like consistency.


Line a 19cm circular cake tin with baking paper (base and sides!) and press the crust mixture into the base and about 2cm up the sides. Given the consistency of the dough I found it easiest to roll it into a large ball then flatten and roll out into a flat circle before pressing it into the tin.

Freeze to firm up while you make the filling.


To make the filling, drain your soaked nuts and blend in your food processor with the remaining ingredients. Blend for about 5 minutes or until the mixture is totally smooth and creamy then pour on top of the crust (it will go a little higher than the sides of the crust, this is fine as the baking paper lining the sides of the tin will stop it sticking to the metal). Freeze for a couple of hours or until totally firm and set.

Remove from the freezer and eat as is or decorate as you wish. I topped mine with some raw chocolate sauce, cacao nibs and crushed peanuts! I'm crazy like that.


Enjoy, try not to OD on deliciousness and leave a comment letting me know what you think! 













No comments:

Post a Comment