Wednesday 4 March 2015

Raw Vegan Cherry Ripe Tarts



 


I have to say this recipe has my Grandad written all over it!

For as long as I can remember he has been a cherry ripe fiend. It's almost a guarantee that you will find one slipped into every birthday, Christmas and fathers day present! Yet, somehow, we all still think we are being original sentimental...

This choc-coconut lust has been tempered in the last few years however with his development of type-2 diabetes, though god knows these fatty sugar bars probably won't be providing a whole heap of nutritional value to even the healthiest of individuals! A single 52g bar will give you almost 20% of your recommended daily fat intake and 30% of your recommended sugar intake! Not really surprising when their first ingredient listed is sugar (but clearly this doesn't make them sweet enough as it is soon followed by sweetened condensed milk and wheat glucose syrup... you get the picture).

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not on some fat-shaming, self-righteous mission to denounce those who indulge in such snacks. I'm more of a "you can eat whatever the hell you want with no judgement, just don't expect me to want to eat it too!" kind of person. I think if people are educated about what they are eating who am I to tell them what they can and cannot put in their bodies?!




Now in terms of what goes into MY body, well then I'm a little more pedantic. I don't enjoy most traditional 'treats'. Just going to put it out there. I hate the gross sugary feeling they leave in my mouth. I hate the sickly feeling they give my stomach. I just plain don't enjoy them. Give me a crunchy kale chip seasoned with fresh spices or a filling, protein packed raw bliss ball over a mars bar any day! God, I really am one of 'those' people aren't I?...

But if you have read my earlier posts (and I know you have HAVEN'T YOU?!) you will know that I enjoy taking inspiration from the folks at Cadbury and Mars and creating desserts which won't leave me rolling on the floor in a sugar coma. I've made individual raw 'Bounty Bar' bites and recently I remade my raw Snickers Slice for my coworkers who are notorious chocolate addicts but raved about my healthier interpretation. So, coming full circle, this time I decided to try my hand at Granddad's favourite Cherry Ripe, the result being individual tarts which are crammed with chocolaty, coconutty, cherry...y(?) deliciousness!

Oh, did I mention they are raw, vegan, gluten and dairy free? They are. You're welcome. 





Raw Vegan Cherry Ripe Tarts


For the Crust:

 4 Tbsp Coconut Butter
1/3 cup Cacao
1/2 cup Coconut Flour
20 Pitted Dates
1 cup Walnuts 
3 tbsp Coconut Oil

 For the Cherry Filling:

 1 cup Cashews, soaked overnight
1/2 cup Coconut Butter
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla
2 cups pitted Cherries
1/4 cup shredded Coconut (optional)
Extra water or non-dairy milk (optional)

  For the Chocolate Ganache:

3/4 cup Cashews, soaked overnight
1/3 cup Cacao
1/3 cup Maple Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla
1/3 cup Coconut Oil, melted  


 

To make the base simply throw everything in a food processor and blitz until you have a fine, wet crumb mixture. Press into the base of about 12 individual non-stick tart tins  (or you could make one large tart or slice) and freeze while you make the filling. 

For the cherry coconut filling, again, just stick everything in your food processor and blitz until the mixture is smooth and creamy. If you feel the mix is to thick and dry try adding some extra water or milk of your choice a little at a time until you have to consistency you want. If you want a more 'coconutty' taste you can add a little shredded coconut and stir it through the smooth mixture (this will also add a little extra texture if your that way inclined!).

Spoon the filling into your chilled tart bases, leaving a little room at the top for when you add your ganache, and stick back into the freezer for about 1/2 an hour or well chilled.

To make the ganache blitz the cashews in your food processor until fully chopped and fairly smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and process until the whole mix is totally smooth. 

Spoon the ganache onto the tarts and refrigerate until chilled and fully set.

Top with some extra chopped cherries, coconut or whatever else you want and enjoy! 
          






No comments:

Post a Comment