Sunday 6 October 2013

The Raw Roadtip Rampage








Since I started delving into the raw food phenomenon I have been getting requests to turn the usual calorie ladened foods into healthier versions of themselves. In particular my sister (not so subtly) hinted that I try recreating something of the choc-mint variety - her all time favourite flavour combination!

As luck would have it I was taking a road trip to Jurien Bay for the long weekend and my fellow car-poolers were also right on board with raw eating (though with the amount of alcohol consumed that weekend I don't think anyone went home feeling particularly healthy...).

 Road trip food was required.

Enter the Raw Choc Mint Slice!







Now, having made a few raw snacks and treats lately, I thought I had fully appreciated how good raw food could be. I was wrong. Very, very wrong!

This slice took healthy snacking to a whole new level! Rich, filling, minty, creamy, nutty, chocolaty... safe to say there were multiple orgasms in my mouth that day. I can remember it so clearly... the crunchy base... the creamy centre with a smacking of mint... the rich chocolate topping which just melts in your mouth... *insert Homer Simpson drool face here!* 



I spent a good while scouring the Internet looking at other's recipes for tips and inspiration and happened to stumble across this one from Ascention Kitchen which I just couldn't go past (FYI this blog is going to be a regular stop for me from now on!).

I used their recipes as a basic guide and them made a few changes to suit myself and the ingredients I had on hand. Where they used pure coconut oil I used homemade coconut butter instead (to make it yourself follow this recipe). Not that this makes a huge difference but, healthy or not (seriously the debate raging over this is fierce!), coconut oil is still a calorie dense fat and so I try to avoid using it in large quantities where possible. Also, I decided to use soaked almonds in my minty filling. If you want a more 'purely white' look to your filling you could sit and peel the almonds before adding them but personally I have no patience for that business and if your paying an arm and a leg for nuts why not get all the nutrients you have from them, including those in their skins??!!

Any who, try this recipe, fall into a food coma for a few hours, and then come back and let me know what you think!




Raw Choc Mint Slice

*Makes about 12 slices* 


For the Base:

1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1/4 cup cacao
20 dried dates
4 (heaped) tsp coconut butter


For the Mint Filling:

1 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight
3/4 cup coconut butter
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp peppermint essence


For the Chocolate Topping:

3/4 cup almonds, soaked overnight
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup cacao
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp maple syrup



To Make The Base:

Blitz all of the base ingredients in a food processor until well chopped and the mixture starts to come together. Line a 20cm x 20cm square pan with baking paper and press the mixture into the base until flat and even. Stick it into the freezer whilst you prepare the filling.


To Make The Filling:

Drain the almonds from their soaking liquid and blitz with the remaining filling ingredients until the mixture in almost smooth. Spoon the mixture onto the base and smooth with a spatula or palette knife until even and flat. Place the pan back into the freezer and leave until the filling is set (at least one hour!).


To Make The Chocolate Topping:

Blitz the almonds in a food processor until finely chopped and then add the remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture is runny and as smooth as possible. Pour over the chilled filling and smooth with a knife. Place back into the freezer and leave until the topping is chilled and set.


Remove the slice from the pan and use a sharp knife to slice into individual pieces.

Enjoy! xo 



No comments:

Post a Comment